WaterAid NGO IT
WaterAid’s Vision is of a world where everyone has access to safe water and sanitation. Our mission is to transform lives by improving access to safe water, hygiene and sanitation in the world’s poorest communities, WaterAid works with partners to maximize its impacts for policy change/influence.
WaterAid works through supporting local organizations and government authorities to design low cost sustainable projects using appropriate and affordable technologies that can be managed by the community itself. WaterAid also seeks to influence the policy change through government and other key international organizations to secure and protect the right of poor people to safe, affordable water and sanitation services.
The Programme Coordinator Data Management and Information Technology will be responsible for providing the planning, coordination, utilization and administration of the organization databases, computer systems and networks. The job holder is responsible for ensuring appropriate definition, organization, security, integrity, operational efficiency, operational support, scheduling and documentation of the databases. S/he establishes written guidelines for the overall use and management of the WAU database management systems and provides support to staff and partners ensure that they are followed. The job holder will monitor and maintain the computer systems and networks of the organisation. This will involve installing and configuring computer systems, diagnose hardware/software faults and solve technical and applications problems. The job holder will also periodically evaluate, appropriate IT technologies and support their implementation in line with the global WA IT policy framework.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Database Management:
Periodically review and update the current database management systems, ensure proper functioning, integrity and security of the system.
Oversee and manage database expansion by studying plans and requirements; advising senior management; implements database design enhancements and structure changes.
Review/Develop system design document and protocols or guidelines for data processing, orient and support staff and partners in their usage
Provide technical support to non-technical staff and enable them understand how to use the system properly.
Prepare timely reports and training manuals for use by staff and partners.
Upgrades hardware and software by assessing transaction processing and database production options
Maintains database performance by troubleshooting problems, setting and enforcing standards and controls in line with system requirements and legal regulations
Monitoring data entry by partners and providing follow up monitoring and support
Provides support and works closely with the Senior Programme Coordinator M&E and Programme Coordinator Research and Documentation in the design, implementation, analysis of information from baselines, evaluations, research, Post Implementation Surveys and Data Audits using the system
Assigns and controls names used for the various portions of data base to include, transaction codes, elements, tables, records, schema and sub-schema.
Ensures the integrity of data base files through the daily monitoring of database backups, logs, journals and transaction statistics.
Supervises the proper distribution and controlled replication of data across the organizations processors.
Implements database back-up and recovery plans, and performs database recoveries and coordination with consultants and service providers.
Create and maintain an appropriate efficient system for sharing and use of information on shared networks
Prepares periodic reports on system performance and problems.
Provides written and oral reporting to management on request.
2. Computer Services & Maintenance:
Install, test and maintain IT hardware and software
Offer technical assistance to team members, receive and ensure a timely response to provide technical support and advice on IT related matters
3. WAU IT System:
Assist in the development and support of the Internet
Plan, implement and modify the structure for the Intranet to support and solve the organisations business problems
Administer the Office Network systems (LAN, WLAN)
Work with and supervise external service providers and prepare reports on issues raised and performance for management consideration
Maintain a master inventory spreadsheet of all computer‐related equipment held by the organisation
Work closely with related IT personnel in UK and other countries
4. System Security:
Provide, maintain and update data security and backup
Ensure system security measures are adhered to
Design and implement IT training programs for WaterAid Uganda staff
Assess and develop training need for new WaterAid Uganda staff
Train staff on the use of the WaterAid Uganda intranet
6. Support Partner Organisation:
Identify training programs for Partner Organisation and implement when required
Assess partner IT needs and advise accordingly
Provides support to partner DLGs set up/manage and use existing WASH MIS systems (M4W)
Provided technical assistance and training when required
Perform any other responsibilities, tasks or activities as reasonably required. It is important to note that the responsibilities may change to meet the evolving needs of WaterAid.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant should hold a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration, Engineering or a closely related field with knowledge and experience in the following areas: UNIX, WAN, LAN, Windows Server, Windows Desktop, Microsoft Office, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Server.
- Possess a minimum of five (5) years of systems analysis and/or programming experience which includes at least two (2) years of database management and administration experience.
- Expertise in Windows and Vista networks, active directory, TCP/IP and Linux servers
- Detailed technical knowledge of PC hardware maintenance.
- Good understanding, knowledge and experience with complex and web-based databases
- Significant knowledge of and ability in database programming techniques, such as application development, maintenance, documentation, testing and debugging
- Substantial ability to logically analyze numerical and narrative data using data and process modeling methodologies and tools.
- Significant ability to work with a high degree of accuracy in reviewing and processing complex data and maintain detailed and accurate records
- Good understanding and knowledge of and ability to utilize current word processing, spreadsheet, database, e-mail and Internet software.
- Display confidence when dealing with people, with well-developed written and verbal communication skills while exhibiting excellent listening skills.
- Show commitment to WaterAid’s Values and working style that exhibits our leadership behaviors.
- Possess the ability to investigate issues and requirements, identify and prioritize and implement appropriate solutions.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested with a desire to work with WaterAid should endeavor to send their applications including a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae (CV) to:
The Head of Human Resources and Administration,
WaterAid Uganda, Plot 90 Luthuli Avenue Bugolobi,
P.O. Box 11759 Kampala, Uganda
NB: Interviews will begin on 17th February, 2014. Please consider your application unsuccessful if you haven’t heard from us by that time.
Deadline: 7th February, 2014