Organization: Promoting Equality in African Schools (PEAS)
Reports to: Audit & Risk Manager
PEAS is a fast growing UK-based charity (www.peas.org.uk) with a mission to ‘unlock the potential of Africa by delivering equal access to affordable, quality secondary education’. We currently have a network of 22 schools across Uganda and Zambia, educating around 8,000 students. The role will be based in our Ugandan office and work closely within across the all Programme and Operations Departments.
At PEAS we are passionate about providing quality education and we are building our network of schools to be one of the best in Uganda. You can be part of our journey in improving the life chances of the next generation of children from low-income families by obtaining access to a good education through the PEAS network.
Job Summary: The Internal Auditor will be responsible for financial, operational and compliance audits at PEAS Uganda and its network of schools. The Internal Auditor will be responsible for financial, operational and compliance audits at PEAS Uganda and its network of schools across the country. You will be part of team delivering high quality assurance and being exposed to a high stand of work ethics. This is an exciting and excellent opportunity that joins the PEAS Audit and Risk team.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assist in monitoring the business function of PEAS and reporting all material finding and preparing appropriate recommendations for corrective actions. This is achieved by reviewing the system of internal controls in order to determine whether they are adequate and to ensure the following:
· Assets are properly safeguarded and utilised effectively and efficiently
· Financial transactions are properly recorded, summarized and reported
· PEAS and its network of schools are adhering to all laws and regulations
2. The Internal Auditor is also responsible for:
· Notifying the Audit & Risk Manager of internal control weaknesses
· Making audit recommendations to correct these weaknesses and discussing both the problems and the solutions with the supervisor
· Maintaining all financial records/documentation for all audits and reviews performed
· Analysing data obtained for evidence of deficiencies in controls, duplication of effort, extravagance, fraud or lack of compliance with managements policies
3. Protect confidentiality of records and information gained as part of exercising professional duties and use discretion in sharing such information within legal confines.
4. Avoid the appearance of conflict, all requirements of the Professional Ethics regarding conflicts of interest in employment, purchasing, and other decisions, including solicitation and acceptance of gifts and favours, and submit in a timely fashion the required annual disclosure statement regarding employment and financial
5. Perform any other duties and responsibilities as required alternatives as the supervisor may find appropriate
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
The applicant should be possess a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field. Professional certifications such as CPA and CIA are preferred with a minimum of level
Familiarity with IIA Standards and the IIA Code of Ethics.
At least two (2) years auditing and financial reporting/compliance with IFRS experience.
Experience in budget and financial management
Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
Very strong computer skills in financial software and Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Well organised, analytical and pays attention to detail
Communicates effectively in English both orally and in writing.
Ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities
Flexibility, initiative and self-motivation
Ability to work under pressure and manage multiple deadlines
Ability to develop positive professional relationships with a range of people
A commitment to the PEAS values
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified candidates should send their applications with a cover letter (paying particular attention to the Person Specification), curriculum vitae, a brief writing sample (unedited by others), and contact information for two professional references to:
The Human Resource Manager.
P.O. Box 23308, Kampala
Plot 2881, Block 216, Ntinda Kisaasi,
Mumbejja Road. Opposite Ndere Centre.
Or send your application via Email: email@example.com,
For further details on vacancies at PEAS visit our website: www.peas.org.uk
NB: Only complete applications will be reviewed, and only qualified candidates will be shortlisted and contacted by email.
PEAS is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its recruitment practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. ‘PEAS has a strict child protection policy. All staff are expected to abide by this.’
Deadline: 2nd October 2013