Friday, 19 April 2013
PROGRAMME OFFICER - (UNEP)
Job title: PROGRAMME OFFICER, P3 -
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the United Nations system's designated entity for addressing environmental issues at the global and regional level. Its mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. UNEP Division of Environmental Law and Conventions (DELC) identifies synergies and promotes the substantive collaboration among Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs). DELC also encourages inter linkages between UNEP's programme and those of MEAs.
Employment type: Full time
City / Location: Nairobi
Job category: Project/Program Management
Min. years of experience: 5 years
Required languages: English French
Minimum degree: Masters degree
Closing date: June 16, 2013 - 10am
1. Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects. etc.; monitors and analyzes programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
2. Performs consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning and facilitating workshops through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
3. Researches, analyzes and presents information gathered from diverse sources.
4. Assist in policy development, including the review the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies etc.
5. Undertakes survey initiatives, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
6. Prepares various written outputs.
7. Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences.
8. Undertakes outreach activities; conducts training workshops, seminars etc. makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
9. Participates in or lead field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties and drafting mission summaries, etc.
10. Coordinates activities related to budget and funding and prepares related documents/reports.
11. Performs other duties as required
Professionalism – Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to Resource Efficient Production. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues / problems. Ability to develop sources for data collection. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrated professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems and challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Planning and Organizing - Ability to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies and action plans, identify priority activities, work under pressure within tight deadlines and deliver outputs, monitor own work plan in a multi priority environment, foresee risks and allow for contingencies when planning, uses time efficiently.
Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrate openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork - Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others.
Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, administration or related area.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN language is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which may be followed by a competency-based interview.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening. On-line applications will be acknowledged where an email address has been provided.
If you do not receive an e-mail acknowledgement within 24 hours of submission, your application may not have been received. In such cases, please resubmit the application, if necessary. If the problem persists, please seek technical assistance through the Inspira "Need Help?" link.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Click here to apply (external link)