Tuesday, 7 May 2013
Human Rights and Governance Officer - British High Commission Kampala
Job title: Human Rights and Governance Officer
The British High Commission Kampala (BHC) has a temporary vacancy for the position of Human Rights and Governance Officer. This vacancy is due to maternity leave and temporary cover is required for approximately 5 months, from mid-June 2013.
Required IT skills: MS Office (in general)
Salary level: Uganda Shillings 2,193,623
Closing date: May 13, 2013 - 5pm
The role of the Part time Human Rights and Governance Officer will be to support the Political Section through analysis on key governance and human rights issues. It is an exciting and interesting opportunity to work with a high-quality team on a range of dynamic human rights and governance issues of importance to both the UK and Uganda.
1) Research, analyse and report on key governance and human rights issues
• Oral briefings for Political Team, including the High Commissioner and visitors on human rights and other political issues.
• Written reports on key human rights issues and developments.
2) Build and maintain relations with key stakeholders to represent and promote the UK
• Meeting with Civil Society Organisations, Government of Uganda, members of the International Community and other stakeholders to better understand and report on the current issues.
• Provide UK representation on Justice Law and Order Sector (JLOS) and developing relations with JLOS institutions.
3) As required, work as part of the political team to deliver core objectives
• Support delivery of the bilateral projects
• Assist in the organisation of events, such as receptions, official entertainment and roundtable meetings
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant field, preferably in law, governance or human rights
- Relevant work experience in the field of Human Rights
- Background and interest in Human Rights and Governance in Uganda (essential)
- Experience of working in or with similar organisations (desirable )
- Ability to gather and analyse information from a variety of sources
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an excellent standard of English
- Strong and professional interpersonal skills to build productive relations with stakeholders
- Good organisational skills to deliver results
- Working knowledge of MS Office Packages
Required Core competencies
- Delivering Results
- Problem solving and Judgement
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing External Relations
- Taking a wider perspective
This is a part-time position and the job holder will be required to work 22.5 hours a week (i.e. 4.5 hour a day) from Monday to Friday.
The gross monthly salary for this position is Uganda Shillings 2,193,623/-.
Contact/How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send or email your CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability for the post and how you meet the above competences to the address below. The subject field or envelope should be clearly marked: “BHC – Human Rights and Governance Officer”. Please include 3 work-related referees and copies of any relevant educational certificates. Attachments to e-mails must not be more than 2 MB.
The HR Manager, British High Commission
4 Windsor Loop
PO Box 7070
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Please note that the appointment will be subject to security clearances and appropriate CV verification procedures. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
The closing date for applications is 17.00 hrs on Monday 13 May 2013.