Organisation development/monitoring and evaluation specialist at VSO Uganda
VSO is an international development charity fighting poverty through volunteers.
Through secure livelihoods, VSO aims to ensure poor and marginalised people are able to access their right to a sustainable livelihood. This is particularly important in the context of Northern Uganda as the majority of youth either missed out on or had their formal education severely disrupted as a consequence of the conflict. The Youth Development Programme (YDP) seeks the support of volunteers to aid implementation and build capacity of NUYDC (Northern Uganda Youth Development Centre) and local Vocational Training Institutes (VTI's). The Centre was established as part of the Peace Recovery and Development Programme (PRDP) and reports directly to the Office of the Prime Minister.
Job title: Organisation development/monitoring and evaluation specialist
Employment type: Full time
City / Location: Lira
Job category: Project/Program Management
Min. years of experience: 3 years
Minimum degree: Bachelors degree
Working with the Youth Development Programme of Uganda you'll build the capacity of NUYDC (Northern Uganda Youth Development Centre) and local Vocational Training Institutes (VTI's). To do this you will:
• carry out a general organizational assessment of the VTI's to determine their current and future needs
• support the development of Monitoring and Evaluation systems for VTI's participating in the DFID funded Youth Development Programme (YDP) within the Langi sub-region
• based on the organisational assessment and in agreement with the individual VTI's, build the capacity of the VTI's on financial management, data capturing, reporting and human resource development
• support VTI staff to implement the development plans, and to report to the program coordinators (NUYDC) on YDP programme and finance related issues
• highlight examples of good practice and share lessons learned amongst colleagues, other VTI's within the sub-region and throughout NUYDC's network of learning providers and with NUYDC.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
1- You'll have a relevant degree and at least 3 years experience in monitoring and evaluation, programme management or another organisational development role.
2- Data analysis, reporting and programme management/implementation skills are essential, as well as strength in one or a combination of the following areas:
management, finance, M&E, organisational development.
3- You'll be a self-starter with good communication skills and experience of working with low capacity teams.
4- You must be able to ride a motorbike or willing to learn and staff development / people management skills would be an advantage.
5- You must be a team player and understand the challenges involved in working in a different environment.
And the rest.... You'll be based in the small, but busy town of Lira, Northern Uganda. Lira has basic services such as markets, hotels and banking institutions. We'll ask you to commit 24 months to make a sustainable contribution to our development goals. In return, we'll provide you with training before your placement and a local living allowance, return flights, accommodation, insurance and more. When you return to your home country, we'll support you to resettle.
Contact/How to apply:
To find out more about volunteering with VSO visit www.vsointernational.org/volunteer and please use reference U0605/0010/0001 in your application. On average it takes a minimum of 4 months to go through the application process, so apply now for departure in 2013.