Job title: Local Government Officer
Employment type: Full time
City / Location: Kamuli
Job category: NGO/Nonprofit Charitable Organizations
Min. years of experience: 2 years
Minimum degree: Bachelors degree
Closing date: January 10, 2014 - 5pm
One Acre Fund (1AF) is an agricultural NGO in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Burundi that is innovating a new way of helping farm families to achieve their full potential. 1AF invests in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. We provide farmers with a "market bundle" that includes training, finance, seed and fertilizer, and market access. Our program is proven impactful – every year, we weigh thousands of harvests and measure more than 100% average gain in farm income per acre. We are growing quickly. In six years, we have grown to serve over 137,000 farm families with more than 1,600 full-time staff worldwide.
Starting with the 2014 planting, One Acre Fund is undergoing a trial program in Uganda based in Kamuli. If successful, we expect that this trial will develop into a full country operation in subsequent years. We are seeking a local government officer to serve as: a point of contact for local Ministry of Agriculture, NAADS and other government officials; an administrator for quarterly reports to government; and a resource for managing risks and other issues involving government officials. S/he would begin engaging with local government through meetings and forums at the district level, and develop relationships that support the field activities of One Acre Fund. This role will report to the East Africa Policy Manager.
Candidates should demonstrate a strong understanding of local government structures, have an interest in agriculture, be prepared to travel regularly, and be an effective communicator. The role requires someone with IT skills and an undergraduate degree.
Primary Duties of the Local Government Officer
- Establish regular contact with officials at the district, county, sub-county, parish and village levels, and maintain a positive relationship on behalf of One Acre Fund
- Help to compile data and develop quarterly reports on 1AF operations in each district, and deliver them to government officials
- Track risks and issues emanating from officials that affect 1AF’s operations and coordinate resolutions
- Report back to operations staff on local government relations, including risk/issue reporting
- Engage continuously with the operations team to remain informed of the latest program developments
- Maintain key local government official contacts database and track interactions
- Be a resource on, and point of contact for, the Ministry of Agriculture and other national government organizations
- Plan and execute 1AF involvement in district shows and agricultural sector functions, including by giving presentations
- Host local and national stakeholders for regular field visits
- Help with various tasks and projects where needed including research and analysis of specific topics, programs and government policies
If you have skills and experience in these areas please highlight them on your cover letter and resume.
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership capacity. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through weekly mentorship and regular career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about.
We are seeking professionals with a minimum two years of work experience, some of which will have been in or with government institutions. S/he will demonstrate a long-term passion for agricultural development in Uganda and will be familiar with the challenges faced by smallholder farmers in Kamuli district and Eastern Uganda. We are looking for extraordinary candidates who are organized and proactive. Please only apply if you fit these criteria:
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized academic institution
- Minimum 2 years work experience in a demanding professional environment such as government, business or NGO
- Demonstrated computer skills in email, internet usage, Microsoft Office
- Strong written and oral communicator with good attention to detail
- A willingness to commit to living in Kamuli for a long-term position
- Proven ability to set and meet targets
- Fluent in English, Lusoga and Luganda
- Passionate about serving smallholder farmers
- Leadership and management experience at work or outside of work preferred
Please highlight the following skills if you have them:
Experience working in agriculture and/or rural development
Experience in dealing with government officials at local and national levels
Experience in producing neat and timely reports for internal and external audiences
Experience in communications across project teams, including coordination of meetings and memos
Compensation: Competitive salary with performance-based incentives
Benefits: National health insurance, airtime and small transportation allowances
Career development: Twice annual career reviews and constant feedback. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development.
One Acre Fund is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply:
Email your cover letter and resume only to email@example.com (Subject line: Local Government Officer + the place you heard of the position) and include salary expectations. Applicants who do not comply with this requirement will not be considered.