United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. The UNDP provides expert advice, training, grant support to developing countries including Uganda with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Job Summary: The Operations Manager provides advice on all aspects of the CO operations. The Operations Manager assists the DCD-O in the effective management and oversight of all operational activities by directly supervising Finance, Human Resource, Procurement & Logistics, ICT, and general administrative services as well as contributing to the planning and management of common services. The main role is to monitor and coordinate the day to day business of the Operations section, ensuring coherent functioning of the various units while at the same time contributing ideas to the redesign of existing systems to take into account changes in the operating environment as and when needed. The Operations Manager works with information from programme and project teams in the Country Office (CO), operations staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQ’s staff and Government officials to successfully deliver operations services
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Contributing to the strategic planning of operations focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Ensure compliance of operations with UN/UNDP rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies, establishment of management targets and monitoring of achievement of results;
· CO business processes mapping and establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Finance, Human Resources Management, Procurement, Logistical and ICT services;
· In charge of constant monitoring and analysis of the operating environment, timely readjustment of the operations, advice on legal considerations and risk assessment;
· Knowledge building and sharing with regards to management and operations in the CO, organization of the operations staff trainings, synthesis of lessons learnt/best practices, and sound contributions to UNDP knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Effective supervision of the Finance function focusing on achievement of the following results:
· In charge of the proper planning, expenditure tracking and audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
· Organization of cost-recovery mechanisms for the CO services provided to projects and UN Agencies, including ensuring preparation of proforma invoices for UN agencies;
· Responsible for the organization and oversight of the CO cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommendation of imprest level, risk assessment, bank relationship management; timely accounting and reconciliation of all transactions, security for cash assets on site;
· Member of bank signatory panel;
· Transaction and stop payment approval on internet banking system.
Effective supervision of the HR function focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Ensure CO compliance with corporate human resources policies and strategies;
· Optimal staffing of the office and projects;
· Management of recruitment processes in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations, appropriate use of different contractual modalities, contracts management, OM performing the function of HR Manager in Atlas (UNDP ERP system);
· Establishment and maintenance of the proper performance management and staff development systems. Implementation of the Universal Access strategy on learning ensuring access of the staff to role appropriate learning activities;
Effective control of procurement and general functions including the UN housing units focusing on achievement of the following results:
· CO compliance with corporate rules and regulations in the field and elaboration of the CO procurement strategies including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement promotion and introduction, performance measurement;
· The Operations Manager will be responsible for the elaboration of the CO contract strategy including tendering processes and evaluation, managing the contract and contractor, legal implications. Proper management of UNDP assets, facilities and logistical services.
Effective supervision of the ICT Functions focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Use of Atlas functionality for improved business results and improved client services;
· Identification of opportunities and ways of converting business processes into web-based systems to address the issues of efficiency and full accountability;
· In charge of the maintenance of a secure, reliable infrastructure environment for ICT and adequate planning for disasters and recoveries;
· Identification and promotion of different systems and applications for optimal content management, knowledge sharing, information provision and learning including e-registry, web-based office management system, etc.
Support the common services organization and management, establishment of partnerships with other UN Agencies focusing on achievement of the following results:
· Establishment of common services, maintenance of coordinating machinery to ensure integrated activities on common services and implementation of the UN reform;
· Elaboration of the strategic approach for implementation of common services in line with the latest developments in common services and the best practices;
· In charge of proper planning and tracking of common services budget and of Agencies contributions to the common services account.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
· The ideal candidate for the United Nations UNDP Operations Manager career opportunity should hold a Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics or related field.
· At least three to five years of post Master’s relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems and establishing inter-relationships among international organization and national governments.
· Previous exposure and experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
· Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
· Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
· The incumbent treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning:
· Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
· Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
· Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
· Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects
· Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration
· Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership:
· Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
· Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
· Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
· Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
NB: The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who so desire to join the United Nations Development Program (UNDP), in the aforementioned capacity should endeavor to Apply Online by Clicking on the link below. Please further review job requirements and if competent Click Apply Now.
Deadline: 13th October 2016