Job Title: Director Labour
Ref: HRM 52/70/01 VOL. 7
Organization Ministry Gender, Labour and Social Development
Closing Deadline: 6th Nov 2013
Minimum Qualifications and Working Experience
• Applicants should be Ugandans holding an Honours Bachelor’s Degree in Social Sciences or Management or Law plus a minimum of a Master’s Degree in any of the above disciplines from a recognized University/Institution
• Applicants should have a minimum of ten (10) years relevant working experience, three (3) of which should have been gained at the level of Commissioner in management of the labour laws or safety and health legislation, in Government or equivalent level of experience from a reputable organization.
He/she should have the following competencies:
• Understanding of Labour, Employment,
• Industrial Relations,
• Occupational Safety and Health Legislation,
• Knowledge of International Labour Standards,
• Policy Management,
• Organizing and Coordinating,
• Strategic thinking,
• Interpersonal and Communication Skills,
• Leadership and Networking,
• Ethics and Integrity
• Developing policies related to employment, occupational safety and health, social security, regulations, detailed rules and procedures for the implementation of the labour/employment laws.
• Providing guidance to Employers and Trade Unions on policies related to labour and employment and social security, legislation and regulations.
• Supporting mutual settlement of disputes between workers and employers by working closely with the Industrial Court.
• Developing advocacy programmes for the Directorate of Labour, employers, workers and the community on their rights at the workplace and risks to their health.
• Advising the Permanent Secretary on the management of all policies, plans and programmes of action under the Directorate of Labour.
• Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
How to Apply:
Applications should be submitted in triplicate on Public Service Form No.3(2008) to the
Secretary Public Service Commission, P.O. Box 7080, Kampala to be received not later than 6th November 2013
The application forms are obtainable from the Public Service Commission Office
on 2nd floor, Farmers House, Parliament Avenue, Kampala,
Ministry/Department Headquarters and District Service Commission Offices.
Hand written applications are also acceptable.
The advertisement can also be accessed from the Public Service Commission website on www.psc.go.ug. The application should bear the title of the post as well as the reference number specified against the vacancy.
Applicants should not apply for more than two posts.
Applicants should attach three sets of certified photocopies of their certificates and testimonials, plus three recent certified passport size photographs