Organization Northern Uganda Literacy Programme
Employment type: Full time
Job category: Project/Program Management
Closing date: November 30, 2013 - 11am
The M&E Manager is responsible for developing monitoring and evaluation strategies, frameworks, tools and theory of change documents for Mango Tree’s Northern Uganda Literacy Program (NULP), as well as overseeing the team of people (both staff and consultants) implementing them in the field. The M&E Manager is responsible for designing and continually updating a database to track program outputs and results against the indicators and outcomes identified in project documents, including M&E tools.
The M&E Manager is responsible for aligning the NULP’s projects under a single, robust monitoring framework and theory of change matrix. He/she is also responsible for developing and implementing specific M&E data collection and monitoring processes for the Program. The M&E Manager is responsible for maintaining project and program M&E frameworks and other relevant documents. The M&E Manager is also responsible for reporting on progress to outputs and outcomes throughout the project to the
project’s various donors and stakeholders as required.
The M&E Manager will also play a key role in academic research projects and the external impact evaluation for the Mango Tree early primary literacy model, as well as support formal external evaluation activities in partnership with the evaluation’s lead researchers, external enumerators and donors. He/she will support various external impact evaluation documentation activities as we record and detail exactly how the model works and what inputs are required to replicate it in other schools and language communities around the country and region.
The M&E Manager may also be requested to advise Mango Tree in Kampala on the development of M&E tools for other projects.
What Mango Tree Expects of You
Roles and Responsibilities of the M&E Manager:
- M&E Strategies, Frameworks and Tools
- Project Monitoring Activities
- Communication and Reporting
- Research and Advocacy
- Materials Development Support
- Support Other Departments within Mango Tree
What Mango Tree Expects of You:
• Commitment to, understanding of, and passion for supporting mother tongue literacy and generally improving the delivery of education services to children in Uganda.
• A degree, specialization or post graduate training in M&E, statistical analysis, data management, or other relevant fields.
• Experience designing and implementing participatory project M&E strategies, frameworks systems and tools, ideally for education projects.
• Proven experience in fieldwork, and monitoring and evaluating in particular. Experience with conducting Early Grade Reading Assessments is highly preferred.
• Clear and effective written and oral communication skills in English required.
• Comprehensive knowledge of the Lango language, orthography and culture is highly preferred.
• Excellent organizational skills, including reporting, data management and record keeping.
• Ability to conduct project evaluation and research studies, including operational research using both qualitative and quantitative methods. Experience with large-scale programmatic evaluations, especially Randomized Control Trial (RCT) impact evaluations, is mandatory.
• Experience working on projects funded by major donors, such as USAID, DFID, etc.
• Knowledge and skills in education best practices, especially in the area of reading and writing methods for early primary school children is preferred.
• Good understanding of the education sector in Uganda – at the national (Ministry) level, at the local government (district) level at the community level and with NGOs.
• Strong training and facilitation skills to mentor people in M&E.
• Experience working with local, national and international technical advisers.
• Ability to establish priorities, plan and execute personal and project work plans. Ability to provide technical guidance to all project staff to ensure that they understand and integrate M&E in their work plans.
• Teamwork and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
• Excellent at thinking strategically and creatively. Able to solve problems, meet/exceed goals and generally “get the job done.”
• Able to present the project’s image, competencies and objectives in a professional manner.
• High level skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, SPSS software, Stata and other statistical packages.
• Ability to meet strict deadlines in high-pressure environments.
• Willingness to work outside of regular office hours to meet project objectives and targets.
• Efficient and comfortable with local and national travel.
• Ability and willingness to ride a motorcycle along with a valid driver’s license is highly preferred.
• 40 hours per week, with flexibility to work over the weekends.
What You Can Expect From Mango Tree
• An extensive introduction to Mango Tree’s literacy project to ensure that you are well versed in all project literature and prepared for your roles and responsibilities (additional trainings will be provided as required).
• Training on the project’s existing M&E framework, reporting system, assessment strategy and tools so that you are able to complete your monitoring and evaluation activities in a professional manner that meets Mango Tree’s expectations.
• Additional training and support as needed to fulfill project roles and responsibilities.
• Ongoing support and guidance from technical advisers and Program Manager to ensure that you complete your assigned tasks to the best of your abilities.
• A professional introduction to key project stakeholders to ensure a cordial working relationship.
• Provision of all work-related materials to ensure you are able to complete the tasks assigned to you.
• Salary to commiserate with experience.
• Work-related transport covered.
• Communication allowance.
• Annual leave, public holidays and sick leave in accordance with company policies and Ugandan law.
For more information about the job position, we kindly refer you to our website: http://www.mangotreeuganda.org/about#working
Please contact us for any questions. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Justin Silbaugh: firstname.lastname@example.org