Job category: Accounting
Closing date: November 1, 2013
The Project Accountant reporting to the Country Director -Uganda manages financial activities for all Uganda based projects and ensures systems and procedures are in line with VSFB policies, donor and legal requirements.
• Ensure compliance to donor regulations and that VSF Belgium financial controls, policies and procedures are applied in all financial transactions.
• To ensure all the financial transactions and payments are conducted professionally recorded accurately and promptly within the budget lines provided.
• Prepare cash forecasts and projections and ensure effective cash flow for implementation of projects.
• Ensure that all accounting records are complete and financial reports as per regulations given are prepared and submitted on time.
• Oversee entry of accounting records in Win books accounting system for all Uganda based projects and submission to Regional office in Nairobi.
• To advise the Country Director- Uganda and Project Manager(s) on balances and budget line expenditures for all Uganda based projects in order to ensure efficiency in planning field activities.
• Provide support to logistics department on procurement and accounting against appropriate budget lines.
• Travel to field locations for stock taking, assets verification exercises.
• Review expenditures relating to all accounting documents for accuracy and consistency with donor regulations.
• Management of bank accounts, petty cash and disbursement of funds as per VSF Belgium and donor regulations
• Support and train the local partners on accounting in relation to the organization’s and donor regulations.
• Coordinate the implementation of internal audits for projects in Moroto.
• Assist with field audits of project teams and accountability for funds and resources received from the office for the field operations.
• Participate and assist with any external audit.
• Follow-up on finance queries with the Regional office in Nairobi and ensure timely response to all finance concerns.
• Support the Country Director -Uganda and Project Manager(s) in Uganda with budget preparation and forecasting.
• Co-ordination with other members of the VSF Belgium support team in Uganda and Regional Office Nairobi.
• Capitalize knowledge and share it within VSF-B.
Essential or Minimum Requirements
• University degree in Bachelor of Commerce – Accounting or Finance option
• Relevant accounting qualifications i.e. CPA (K) or ACCA equivalent
Knowledge and Experience
• At least 3 years financial management experience in a busy office.
• Experience of working with an NGO will be an added advantage
• Experience in the use of one or more accounting software packages and accounting in different currencies.
• Knowledge of donor rules and regulations i.e. ECHO, USAID, EU, DFID
• Knowledge and experience with the International Accounting Standards (IAS)
• Excellent managerial, organizational and planning skills
• Strong numerical skills and accuracy.
• Good reporting skills
• Computer literacy with very good advanced MS Excel skills and Word
• Ability to work independently, under pressure and meet strict deadlines
• Ability to prepare and present issues at all levels
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Team player
• Attentive to detail and result oriented
• High integrity and initiative
• Identify him/herself with the mission, vision and values of VSF-B
• Display of intercultural sensitivity, respect in dealing with others
Please send your application (reference “Project Accountant- Uganda”), CV and 3 references (one must be your current employer), by e-mail to email@example.com on or before 31st October 2013
This vacancy is open to Uganda male and female candidates.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
For more information: www.vsf-belgium.org