Job title: Program Director
Recruiter Mango Tree Uganda
Job category: Project/Program Management
Required IT skills: MS Office (in general)
Minimum degree: Bachelors degree
Closing date: November 30, 2013 - 10am
Since 2010, we are implementing an early literacy program in Lango sub region. As we are greatly up scaling the program including many schools and stakeholders, we are looking for a highly motivated and experienced Programme Director. You will be based in Lira, with frequent travel into the region and Kampala. You will be reporting directly to the Executive Director. Start Date is December 1st, 2013, and contract duration is for three years, with a probation period of six months.
The PD will oversee Mango Tree’s Northern Uganda Literacy Program (NULP) in the Lango Sub-region. The PD will be directly responsible for the planning, organization and execution of all program activities. The PD will ensure that the program is administered properly and that the activities, budget and schedule of the program are followed and that the best results possible are attained.
The PD will be a pro-active member of the Mango Tree management team and an active participant in trainings and material and tools development. The PD will work with the Creative Director and Executive Director (ED) to develop synergies between the various elements of NULP and Mango Tree as a whole.
The PD will play a significant role in fundraising for NULP by communicating with potential funders/donors and coordinating the submission of grant proposals and other fundraising documents. The PD will work hand-in-hand with the lead grant writer for Mango Tree and other grant writers to ensure that submissions are of the highest quality and are made on time. The PD will participate in strategic meetings with funders/donors and will make presentations as necessary. The PD will also function as the primary public representative for NULP and will be called upon to speak on behalf of Mango Tree at events and forums relevant to NULP.
- Program Management
- Financial Administration and Reporting
- Communication and Synergy between NULP and Mango Tree
- Fundraising/Resource Mobilization
- Support other departments
Skills and Knowledge Required:
• Commitment to, understanding of, and passion for supporting mother tongue literacy and generally improving the delivery of education services to children in Uganda.
• At least a Masters Degree or its equivalent from a reputable post-secondary institution is required.
• Experience managing a donor funded project in East Africa.
• Experience with major international donors, such as USAID, DFID, World Bank, etc.
• Experience managing a team of 20+ staff members, and excellence in empowering staff and delegating work
• Proven project management skills
• Strong financial management skills.
• Proven leadership in a multicultural environment.
• Familiarity with the education sector in Uganda.
• Knowledge and skills in education best practices.
• Track record of high level performance, creativity, and leadership.
• Clear and effective written and oral communication.
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office programs and accounting software
• Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
• Good at thinking strategically and creatively.
• Excellent organizational skills, including reporting and record-keeping.
• Able to build long-term relationships at the director level in partner organizations such as Ministry of Education and Sports, National Curriculum Development Center, district local governments and subcontractors.
• Presents the program’s image, competencies, and objectives in a professional manner.
• Efficient and comfortable with local and national travel.
• Willingness to work outside of regular office hours to meet project objectives and targets.
• Ability and willingness to ride a motorcycle along with a valid driver’s license is highly preferred.
• 40 hours per week, with flexibility to work over the weekends and holidays when necessary.
• Salary to commiserate with experience.
• Work-related transport covered.
• Communication allowance.
• Annual leave, public holidays and sick leave in accordance with company policies and Ugandan law.
For more information about the job position, we kindly refer you to our website: http://www.mangotreeuganda.org/about#working
Please contact us for any questions. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Justin Silbaugh: email@example.com