Recruiter - (WASH) Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
Closing date: 31 Dec 2013
Location: Lira, Uganda
Duration: 1 year with probationary period of 3 Months
Reports to: Country Director
Organizational Background: International Lifeline Fund (Lifeline) is an innovative humanitarian development organization dedicated to providing clean drinking water and fuel-efficient, clean cooking stoves to communities in Africa and Haiti. Lifeline has a bottom-up philosophy to development, encourages its staff to be entrepreneurial and proactive in their approach to finding solutions, and has a flexible, low-cost approach to operations. Lifeline’s vision is a world in which no one is forced to drink contaminated water or expose themselves to the harms associated with cooking on an open fire.
Position Description: The WASH Program Manager (PM) will be responsible for implementing Lifeline’s WASH program in accordance with the Lifeline Uganda’s country strategy and donor requirements. The WASH PM will be responsible for maintaining the current high standards of Lifeline’s WASH program, and will be expected to identify and improve operations as necessary. The WASH PM will be responsible for ensuring that all the necessary programmatic documents, including project proposals and budget, technical needs assessments and baseline surveys, technical specifications and designs, implementation modality guidance documents and protocols, and monitoring tools are established and implemented according to WASH program best practices. The WASH PM will manage a large WASH team, and will take responsibility to optimize their operations. Moreover, the WASH PM will be responsible for integrating “soft” interventions, especially improved sanitation and also hygiene, into Lifeline’s current WASH operations.
• Participate in the development of Lifeline Uganda’s strategic work plan and ensure the achievement of specific project objectives.
• Provide guidance and management support to the WASH team.
• Work collaboratively with Country Director on development, fundraising and other program related duties.
• Undertake frequent field visits to monitor projects, as well as conduct periodic programmatic reviews to ensure effective and efficient implementation.
• Propose and/or undertake action on operational procedures affecting project management and implementation.
• Ensure good functioning WASH logistics, including support with the procurement of technical supplies and equipment.
• Analyse and evaluate data to ensure achievement of objectives and/or take corrective action when necessary to meet program/project objectives.
• Contribute to the development of the WASH team’s strategic work plan, including introduction of new approaches, methods and practices in project management & evaluation and also ensure the achievement of specific objectives.
• Ensure proper functioning of all WASH logistics.
• Meet with local, national, and international agencies or governmental bodies conducting WASH projects to maintain good working relations and potentially coordinate activities.
• Participate in meetings with ministries responsible for project review, and follow up on implementation of recommendations and agreements.
• Ensure the accurate and timely input of project information in the internal database system, and issue status reports for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
• Prepare programme/project status reports required for management, board, donors, budget review, programme analysis, annual reports, etc.
• Provide guidance to staff on all issues related to program implementation.
• Assure integration of “soft” interventions, including integration of the community health club model into current WASH programmatic work.
• Bachelor of Science in Civil, Water or Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrogeology or a related field.
• Strong technical background with experience in undertaking and or supervising water well drilling, geophysical surveys, pump testing, and pump installation.
• Three years of progressively responsible professional work experience at an international level in program management, monitoring/evaluation, and drinking water supply area.
• Experienced with the implementation and supervision of sanitation and hygiene activities.
• Knowledge and experience regarding water engineering (water collection and supply systems, such as boreholes and filtration systems, as well as analysis and treatment).
• Knowledge and experience of a variety of sanitation systems in humanitarian contexts, including Participatory Hygiene and Sanitation Training (PHAST), Children’s Hygiene and Sanitation Training (CHAST), and Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS).
• Knowledge and experience regarding health and hygiene promotion and community participation approach in humanitarian contexts, including training and forming Water User Committees (WUCs) and Village Health and Sanitation Trainers (VHSTs).
• Familiarity with drilling boreholes and associated operations highly desired.
• Analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills.
• Excellent communication skills (oral & written) in English.
• Excellent supervisory and managerial skills.
• Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with a strong attention to detail.
• Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office applications.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the organization
• GIS mapping
• Masters degree in Civil, Water or Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrogeology or related technical field.
• Prior experience implementing successful WASH programs in Uganda or other African countries.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send CV’s to email@example.com with the subject title WASH PM –Uganda