Vacancy: Assistant Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Officer
Recruiting Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Position No.: 10022183
Reports to: Associate Field Officer
Vacancy Notice: 11/2014
Duty Station: Adjumani,
Post Grade: NOA
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. The agency is mandated to lead and co-ordinate international action to protect refugees and resolve refugee problems worldwide. Its primary purpose is to safeguard the rights and well-being of refugees. It strives to ensure that everyone can exercise the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge in another State, with the option to return home voluntarily, integrate locally or to resettle in a third country. It also has a mandate to help stateless people.
Job Summary: The Assistant Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Officer will be to ensure that the WASH services provided to refugees and other persons of concern to UNHCR are based on UNHCR country and/or internationally recognized standards and policies. The applicant will also provide technical support and advice arc provided to the country operation in the field of WASH.
· Proactively co-ordinate UNHCR’s Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programme;
· Offer technical and capacity-building assistance in relevant sectors to population of concern using a community-based approach.
· Offer technical assistance, supervision and reporting on implementation and operation management of WASH activities carried out by the Implementing Partners (TPs).
· Work closely with technical staff of the Implementing Partners (IPs), update detailed needs and resource assessments and revise designs of technical plans as necessary taking into account practical aspects of implementation, and relevant technical specifications and guidelines elating to water pumping & pipeline distribution systems, boreholes and shallow wells installations, solar water systems, spring developments.
· Develop practical tools and guidelines to implement, a mechanism for monitoring, evaluation and reporting of construction works as well as operation and management of WASH-related activities.
· Actively contribute to development of capacity-building strategy to ensure follow-up and sustainability of WASH interventions at the community level.
· Make sure that the UNHCR beneficiaries’ participation and community mobilization in all aspects of WASH planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting activities with focus on protection risks and access especially for women, children, ethnic groups and other groups with specific needs.
· Prepare and review technical proposals and requests received by the Office for funding submissions, undertake feasibility assessments and perform technical evaluation of the proposals.
· Coordinate with IPs, Government technical departments, other UN Agencies and the beneficiaries on all technical issues, and facilitate for timely and cost- effective implementation of the proposed technical activities.
· Review on a regular basis the quantity and quality of water, sanitation and hygiene promotion services offered in the settlement.
· Compile and submit draft sectoral reports covering water, sanitation/hygiene and other technical areas as instructed by the Office.
· Perform any other duties as required by the Associate Field Officer.
· The applicant should hold a University degree in water and sanitation engineering / water resources development or/in one of the civil engineering disciplines (water supply and/or hydrology) or sanitation/hygiene engineering.
Skills & Experience:
At least two years’ professional working experience in water/sanitary engineering or a related field in developing countries dealing with large scale WASH activities.
· Possess the ability to coordinate a range of diverse actors and activities to achieve a common objective in the area of WASH is essential.
· Expertise in area of WASH assessment including surveys, programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and coordination is required.
· Comprehensive knowledge and experience of working with local partner agencies with a capacity to provide formal and informal training.
· Computer literacy Skills i.e. Proficiency in basic computer software such as Excel, Powerpoint, Word as well as GIS.
· Excellent knowledge of English (written/oral /comprehension).
· Knowledge of local language and institutions.
· Knowledge of WASH related computer software/packages.
· Past experience and exposure to UNHCR mandate, its priorities and principles.
All Interested candidates who meet the above criteria should submit their applications, under confidential cover, quoting the Post No addressed to: The Senior Administrative/ Finance Officer, UNHCR Representation in Uganda via E-mail to: UGAKAHR@unhcr.org.
Deadline: 30th May 2014