Senior Medical Officer/ Study CoordinatorThe Medical Research Council/Uganda Virus Research Institute (MRC/UVRI) Uganda Research Unit on IDS is seeking keen, experienced and suitably qualified Ugandans to join a team of dedicated clinical and research staff working on a trial of Adjunctive Dexamethasone in HIV infected Adults with Cryptococcal Meningitis.
Employment type: Full time
City / Location: Entebbe
Job category: Medical/Health
Min. years of experience: 2 years
Minimum degree: Masters degree
Closing date: March 8, 2013 - 5pm
Position: Senior Medical Officer/ Study Coordinator (1 )
Duty Station: Entebbe.
Reports to: Project Leader
Key roles and responsibilities;
• Offer supervisory leadership and training to a study research team comprising of nurses, counselors, field workers, laboratory technologists and data management personnel.
• Provide technical support and develop clinic work plans and ensuring their implementation.
• Develop and implement recruitment strategies and ensuring that the trial is carried out in a timely manner and according to GCP.
• Responsible for day to day in-patient and Out-patients care to trial patients and referral of clinical emergencies.
• Coordinate patient tests and procedures, collect data as required by the protocol.
• Provide comprehensive HIV/AIDS care service to patients including ART services at the health facility.
• Offer clinical assessment, diagnosis, treatment and prophylaxis of common opportunistic infections among patients in the trial.
• Establish and organizes study files e.g. study master file, participant files; prepare and present trial progress reports.
• Develop and implement recruitment strategies, assure timely completion of CRFs, maintain study timelines, maintain adequate inventory of study supplies, perform Investigational Product (IP) accountability, complete study documentation and maintain study files.
• Coordination with other section heads and staff e.g. administration, data management, laboratories, community liaisons’ office, etc.
• Liaison with staff of Entebbe Hospital and other health facilities in the area.
• Coordinate clinic activities to ensure timely, accurate and high quality data is collected within standard ethical procedures.
Requirements: Education, skills and Experience required.
• Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from a recognized university
• A master’s degree in Internal Medicine, Epidemiology, Public Health or other related disciplines is an added advantage
• Up to date registration with Uganda Medical and Dental Practitioners Council.
• At least 2 years post-internship proven knowledge and experience in HIV/AIDS and ART care.
• Proven experience in in-patient care of critically ill patients.
• Experience in conducting and supervising clinic visits to ensure that all clinical procedures are conducted according to National Recommendations and Guidelines.
• Good managerial and organizational skills
• Computer literate and able to use Microsoft Office programs
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate in an effective manner.
• Knowledge, skills and experience in research and research methodologies
• Current GCP training certificate
• Self-motivated and able to work with minimal supervision.
• Fluency in English and Luganda
Contact/How to apply:
The Human Resource and Administration Manager
MRC/UVRI Uganda Research Unit on AIDS
P.O. Box 49 Entebbe