Thursday, 9 May 2013
Finance Officer-- Plan International
Job title: Finance Officer
Founded 75 years ago, Plan International is one of the oldest and largest children's development organizations in the world. We work in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty. Plan's vision is of a world in which all children realize their full potential in societies that respect people's rights and dignity. Plan is independent, with no religious, political or governmental affiliations.
Working in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas, Plan aims to reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalized with high quality programs that deliver long lasting benefits by increasing its income, working in partnership with others and operating effectively. NU-HITES (Northern Uganda Health Integration to Improve Services) is a USAID funded project in northern Uganda to improve access to / regular use of basic health services and requires intensive monitoring and evaluation at many levels with many stakeholders.
Employment type: Full time
City / Location: Gulu,
Job category: Accounting/Finance/Insurance
Min. years of experience: 3 years
Minimum degree: Bachelors degree
Closing date: May 17, 2013 - 5pm
The position contributes to this goal by supporting the finance and accounts function in the designated USAID-funded Northern Uganda Partnership for Health (NU-HITES) program districts by ensuring efficiency, effectiveness and value for money transactions.
Dimensions of Role:
• Monitoring of the project budget in the sub-office
• Supervises the finance staff in Sub-offices
Typical Responsibilities - Key End Results of Position:
1. Budget Management and Project Control;
• Prepares sub-office project budgets for each financial year
• Prepares Annual Plan for the sub-office
• Monitors expenditure to ensure adherence to budgetary limits
• Coordinates with and supervises relevant staff to ensure that budgetary allocations are spent and recorded in the Financial year
• Reviews project outlines (POs) to ensure that the activities to be implemented are budgeted for, and proper codes are used
2. Cash Management
• Reviews Petty cash replenishment vouchers and carries out surprise petty cash count on a regular basis as per Plan Uganda’s financial guidelines
• Reviews requisition forms and payment vouchers for accuracy and completeness in line with Plan’s policies
• Approves all payment requests that are within Finance Officer’s authority limits.
• Updates the excel cash book register at the beginning and close of each business day in line with Plan Uganda’s finance guidelines.
• Prepares and consolidates monthly cash forecasts and refresh for the project office in line with Plan Uganda’s finance guidelines.
• Prepares budget versus actual reports
• Prepares cashbook & Bank reconciliations as per the guidelines
• Updates the advances register and maintains a file for accruals and prepayment reports in line with Plan’s policies
3. Advance management
• Provides financial trainings to CBO groups and partners as and when required
• Reviews advance accountability reports submitted by the partners
• Visits partner activities to verify implemented activities
Dealing with Problems:
• Resolving problems that are not covered by existing processes
Communications and Working Relationships:
• Finance Managers:- Submit payment requests for approval.
• Financial Institutions:- Follow up on un-presented cheque, exchange rate inquiry, follow up on fund transfers, etc.
• Other finance staff:- Follow up on funds for the project area, update on grant funded POs sending financial reports, communication on period closure, etc.
• Project Staff:- Provision of budget monitoring, Clarifications on supporting documents while reviewing payments, etc.
• B.Com or BBA Accounting
• Professional qualification in accountancy (CPA, ACCA) at intermediate or affiliate level
• At least three years working experience as an accountant in an organization and at a responsible supervisory level is essential.
• Must have prior USAID work experience
• NGO experience is an added advantage
Contact/How to apply:
People Performance Group
Plot 8 Kitante Close, Kitante
P.O. Box 12405, Kampala