Job Title FINANCIAL SERVICES SPECIALIST
Organisation MERCY CORPS UGANDA
Closing date 11th sept 2013
Mercy Corps drives high quality, analytical work in tough places. We’ve been operating in Uganda since 2006 and currently manage a range of programs in Acholi and Karamoja sub-regions with funding from a basket of donors. We focus our work on crowding-in private sector actors to deliver highly demanded, if missing products and services that improve inclusive economic prosperity and overall quality of life. Our work is market-oriented and consistently innovative, dynamic and unique. We seek team members who fit this profile in kind and who can think creatively and critically to drive our work forward.
Describe overview of job mission
Formal financial inclusion as well as accessibility to viable capital is imperative for economic growth and wellbeing at every level. Formal financial inclusion remains untenable for most economically active smallholder actors where minimal financial presence, untailored products and a dearth of nonfinancial services inhibit access. Further, capital constraints are important underlying challenges for most of Mercy Corps Uganda’s programming. Mercy Corps’ work emphasizes crowding in and expanding businesses that provide important and beneficial products and services to communities and households alike. This means that financing to start, to grow and to scale business ventures as well as consumer financing to avail access to products and services at the household level is requisite to our programming. Accordingly, as our market facilitation projects expand and partnerships with private sector actors intensify, it is increasingly important to deepen our financial services work similarly.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Reporting to the Financial Services Coordinator, the Financial Services Specialist will be responsible for improving access to financial services to producers, agribusinesses and enterprises in the project areas. S/he will be responsible to assess the existing capacity of Financial Institutions the program is working with including their training needs and propose actions to build their management capacities. Under the guidance of the Financial Services Coordinator and /or Program Director, the Specialist will conduct assessments and research regarding service delivery, product appropriateness, extension needs, institutional arrangements, markets for financial services, accessibility of services and new opportunities and models, among other responsibilities, across the financial sector in the project area.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Work closely with the Financial Services Coordinator and all other teams in planning and implementation of financial access components of the projects according to the approved work plan and budgets, project document and implementation strategies.
2. With supervision and guidance from the Coordinator and team leaders undertake assessments, project design and strategy.
3. Identify the capacity gaps of financial services actors, design and implement most feasible capacity building activities based on identified gaps.
4. Conducts light due-diligence on potential partners and supports the negotiation process, as requested, in finalizing teaming and partnership agreements; and
5. Provide continuous support and oversee activities of the local financial institutions identified for capacity building support.
6. Work closely with all other program teams at local level to identify clients for financial services and to support service extension as well as to ensure synergy and to maximize program impact.
7. Actively participate in the periodic program planning, review and reflection meetings and sessions.
8. Prepare periodic work plans and progress reports.
9. Prepare accurate and timely reports and other project documentation and communication that contribute to a learning organization;
10. Coordinate with other Mercy Corps programs and local government bodies to ensure coherent program implementation and to capitalize on business opportunities in Mercy Corps’ target communities.
11. Assists in all other tasks and duties as assigned by supervisor and program managers.
12. Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its mission.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Financial Services Coordinator
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: RAIN Team, Economic and Market Development Program Manager, Economic Development Team Leader, financial institutions, private sector partners
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• A degree, preferably graduate level, in Business Administration, Economics or Finance is required;
• Minimum of five to seven years working for a formal financial institution with orientation to mass markets or within the private sector is required;
Familiarity with M&E, information, communications and knowledge sharing technologies and use of inventive approaches on digital financial services is required;
Superb networking and negotiation skills required;
Strong analytical and quantitative skills as well as familiarity with financial accounting required;
Demonstrated flexibility, creativity and enthusiasm as well as a willingness to learn and to be continually adaptive within a dynamic and often self-directed working environment mandatory;
Ability to focus on day-to-day tasks at hand while also working towards longer-term objectives with an understanding that these will change continuously;
Willingness to spend much time in the field and work closely with program target groups.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
How to Apply
Applications including cover letter, CV with three references and copies of academic credentials to one of the following addresses Submit in person to the Admin Officer, Mercy Corps Kitgum Office, Kitgum town. Submit in person to Mercy Corps Kampala Head Office. Email to email@example.com Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply. Deadline for submission: 10 working days from the date of announcement. Please include your salary expectation NOTE: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by Mercy Corp