Friday 10 May 2013
Programme Officer, Transitional Justice and Conflict Prevention - DGF
Job title: Programme Officer, Transitional Justice and Conflict Prevent
Employment type: Full time
City / Location: Kampala
Job category: Project/Program Management
Min. years of experience: 3 years
Minimum degree: Masters degree
Closing date: May 24, 2013 - 5pm
Reporting to: Rights, Justice and Peace Component Manager (CM)
Work centre: Kampala
The Rights, Justice & Peace (RJP) component’s objective is: “The people of Uganda, especially the poor, vulnerable and women are empowered to claim their human rights, access justice and live in peace”. The three areas are perceived as mutually reinforcing to generate an effective response to deficits.
The Programme Officer for Transitional Justice and Conflict Prevention will contribute to the implementation of the DGF tailored approach for conflict prevention in the various regions of the country. In addition, he/she will follow-up on the Justice Law and Order Sector policy on Transitional Justice to enhance the Transitional Justice mechanisms effectiveness and outreach to fulfill Uganda international justice obligations, empower war affected communities and promote justice for war victims.
• Provide analysis of key developments in the transitional justice and conflict prevention areas and feed this into the management of the DFG.
• Provide analytical inputs to the CM, the Head of Programme and DGF-Steering Committee, including participating in report writing and meetings when required.
• Support the CM to ensure good working relationships with key external stakeholders, including the management of relations to partner organisations.
• Provide input to the development and monitoring of annual work plans and budgets as agreed with the CM.
• Take overall responsibility for achievement of agreed targets within the sub-component.
• Establish and work with relevant working groups as directed by the CM.
• Develop and oversee, where required, funding application processes or calls for proposals for potential partners.
• Contribute to DGF communications strategy and specific information requirements as mandated by the CM.
• Review narrative and financial reports from partners and monitor these progress reports as required by the CM.
• Work hand-in-hand with the Project Officer for timely accomplishment of administrative and operational tasks.
• Identify windows of opportunity to further develop the component.
• Ensure compliance with all technical, administrative and financial manuals of the DGF.
• Work closely with the relevant programme teams in the development and implementation of specific elements of the DGF monitoring and impact evaluation.
• Contribute to semi-annual progress reports.
• Undertake any other assignments as delegated by the Component Manager.
Academic and professional qualifications
• A Masters degree in Transitional Justice, Conflict Prevention or another relevant subject from a recognized university.
• Additional qualifications in project management & administration, public policy, development studies and political science are an advantage.
Competencies and experience
• Good knowledge of current development challenges and political developments in Uganda, especially in the area of Transitional Justice and Peace and Security issues.
• At least five years experience in the management of development programmes and projects.
• At least 3 years specific experience working on development projects within the area of transitional justice and/or conflict prevention.
Contact/How to apply:
To apply please send your CV and cover letter with 3 work related referees to the address or e-mail below. All applications shall be marked: “DGF – Program Officer”. E-mails must not exceed 2 MB.
Closing date is 5 PM on Friday the 24th May 2013.
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only the selected will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
People Performance Group
Plot 8 Kitante Close, Kitante
P.O. Box 12405, Kampala, Uganda
Attn.: The Director