Saturday, 20 April 2013
Event Manager Position - Innovations for Poverty Action
Job title: Event Manager
Innovations for Poverty Action
The Yale Savings and Payments Research Fund, under the Global Financial Inclusion Initiative at Innovations for Poverty Action, is hosting a research methods workshop and policy conference around Evidence on Innovations in Savings and Payments at the end of June in Kampala, Uganda.
The events will showcase results from recent evaluations in Africa on child and youth savings, the impact of reducing costs and barriers to accessing savings among the poor, behavioral barriers to saving, using mobile phones for behavioral change, and the adoption and impact of mobile money. The events will facilitate discussions between researchers, practitioners, and policymakers on the current body of evidence around financial inclusion for the poor, and which innovations in the design and delivery of financial products work best in positively impacting the welfare of poor households and enterprises in sub-Saharan Africa. More information on these events can be found here.
Employment type: Consultancy
City / Location: Kampala
Job category: Business/Strategic Management
Min. years of experience: 3 years
Required languages: English
Required IT skills: MS Office (in general)MS WordMS Excel
Minimum degree: Bachelors degree
Closing date: April 24, 2013 - 4pm
The responsibilities of the Event Manager will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Planning the logistical details of both the researcher workshop and dissemination conference.
• Book, confirm, and coordinate payment of hotel rooms for all international guests.
• Prepare all materials, including nametags, banners, print-outs and photocopies, ensuring their quality and timeliness.
• Coordinate catering firms, making sure the food is high quality and the teas and lunches are prompt.
• Coordinate international and local travel for all guests.
• Keep detailed financial records for the event and work with IPA financial management to process timely and accurate payments.
• At the conference, assist with registering guests, troubleshooting technical problems and coordinating staff.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
• A Bachelor’s degree is required, Master’s preferred
• Extensive experience managing large events and conferences
• Extreme attention to detail
• Ability to plan ahead and work independently while communicating effectively
• Fluency and excellent communication skills in spoken and written English
• Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, and a team player
• Excellent computer skills, especially with Word and Excel
Contact/How to apply:
To apply, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, following the instructions below:
• In the subject line: Copy exactly the following position line: GFII Event Manager
• Attachments: Please attach ONLY a two-page CV and cover letter. Do not include other certifications.
• In the email body: Put your full name, first name followed by surname
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.