Saturday, 20 April 2013
Accounts Officer - Diakonia
Job title: Accounts Officer
Diakonia is a Swedish development organization working together with local partners for a sustainable change for the most vulnerable people of the world. In Uganda, Diakonia works mainly in the North Eastern Karamoja region, focusing on improving the living standards of the most vulnerable people. Diakonia also has strategic relations with civil society organizations in the capital Kampala, and in other parts of Northern and North Eastern Uganda.
Employment type: Full time
Job category: Accounting/Finance/Insurance
Min. years of experience: 3 years
Minimum degree: Bachelors degree
Closing date: April 29, 2013 - 5pm
1. JOB SUMMARY - PURPOSE
The job is responsible for providing timely and efficient payment processing for duly authorized /approved transactions and reports as well as maintaining up to date records of cash, cheque, assets and payroll transactions
2. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
a. Payment Processing
• Ensure all payments have sufficient supporting documentation
• Examine supporting documents and ensure timely payment of authorized and approved transactions.
• Ensure that settlement of invoices in respect of service and goods providers are in accordance with existing contracts.
b. Assets and Accounts Maintenance
• Ensure payees are notified of any discrepancies in the supporting documents.
• Maintain and update accounting records, fixed assets register in accordance with accounting policies and procedures.
• Maintain safe custody of and manage petty cash while ensuring the availability of sufficient cash for disbursement in the office and at the bank.
• Prepare cash count, maintain daily reconciliation of petty cash imprest, complete and submit weekly and monthly Cash Survey Report.
• Maintain safe custody of all accounting documents including cheque books, payment vouchers, PAYE, NHIF, NSSF, Pension returns and Motor Vehicle Log books.
• Prepare and maintain the payroll and associated statutory and voluntary returns.
• Acts as the bank agent – collecting cash, cheque books and other bank documents
• Prepare bank and accounts reconciliation, including audit schedules.
• Maintain an up to date inventory & fixed assets register for the country office.
• Conduct an annual inventory in respect of Country Office
c. Grant Information
• Assess partner financial reports to ensure compliance with Diakonia requirements.
• Review of partner budgets to comply with donor requirements.
• Assessment of partner audit reports.
• Maintain and obtain a Monitoring Log in respect of information due from partners.
• Periodic visits to partner organizations for financial systems review and assist where necessary
b. Perform any other duties as maybe delegated from time to time.
3. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
(The knowledge, skills and abilities may be acquired through a combination of formal schooling, self-education, prior experience, or on-the-job training)
a. Level of Education/Academic Qualification
• Bachelor’s degree in business related field (Commerce, Accounting, Finance, Arts) or other relevant field.
b. Specialized Training/Professional Qualifications
• A qualification leading to certificates in basic parts of professional accounting examinations - Chartered/Certified Accountant or other comparable/equivalent qualification.
c. Competencies/Abilities/Skills Required
• Ability to maintain accounting records, analyze and prepare reports and statutory returns.
• Ability to operate computer assisted accounting and other packages is also mandatory.
• Sufficient knowledge of accounting and book keeping
• Working knowledge of computerized accounting and other computer application packages
• High level of integrity to be able to handle assets, cash and cash related transactions.
• Good interpersonal skills to be able to relate to people of diverse backgrounds.
• Attention to detail to be able to scrutinize payment supporting documents before effecting payment
• Planning and organizing ability to be able to accomplish tasks, file and retrieve accounting documents
• Effective communication both oral and written
• Good organizing skills in order to schedule payments, prepare reports, classify, archive and retrieve documents within required time frames.
• Ability to train and build staff capacities, in relevant areas, of partner organizations.
d. Relevant Work Experience
• A minimum three years experience in a busy accounts office
Contact/How to apply:
Please send your CV, cover letter, with 3 work-related referees, and copies of certificates/testimonials, to the address or e-mail below. All applications shall be clearly marked: ‘DIAKONIA-Programme Officer’ or ‘DIAKONIA-Accounts Officer. E-mails must not exceed 2MB. For detailed job description, visit kazijobs.com and search for the position
Closing date is 5 PM on Monday 29th April 2013.
While we thank all applicants for your interest, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Any form of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
People Performance Group
Plot 8 Kitante Close, Kitante
P.O. Box 12405, Kampala