Monday, 2 September 2013
Advocacy Specialist job opportunity in uganda at War Child Canada
Job title Advocacy Specialist
Closing date 20th, September 2013,
Organisatin War Child Canada
War Child Canada works in Uganda with war-affected communities to help children reclaim their childhood through access to education, opportunity and justice. War Child Canada takes an active role in raising public awareness around the impact of war on communities and the shared responsibility to act.
When war itself ends, the consequences endure. A lack of employment opportunities, the absence of effective economic or social structures, an under-educated population and a culture of impunity around rights violations combine to create conditions that make a return to conflict all too possible. But by making a long-term investment to create an environment in which childhood can thrive, the cycle of violence can be broken.
War Child Canada is a registered Canadian charity based in Toronto and currently works in Afghanistan, Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Sierra Leone and Uganda.
War Child Canada is currently seeking to recruit for the positions of Advocacy Specialist and Media Specialist for an anticipated USAID-funded Rule of Law program in Uganda. The selected candidates will work with a team of technical specialists and local partners to address three areas: supporting an independent judiciary; fostering advocacy; and advancing the flow of information, including through the media. These positions are contingent on funding. All positions shall be based in Kampala with frequent travels upcountry.
• Provision and oversight of technical direction and assistance in support of improved technical, financial, and human resource capacity of participant civil society organizations
• Promote effective advocacy focused on the promotion of human rights and equal access to justice
• Support the efforts of state and non-state actors to uphold human rights and rule of law
• Actively ensure that gender, youth, persons with disabilities and other marginalized groups are represented and included in all activities
• A bachelor’s degree in law, political science, social policy or in a related social science discipline.
• A minimum of three years’ experience in advocacy and civil society engagement
• Experience building the capacity of community groups in advocacy and engagement
• Two years of technical experience in dealing with multiple
stakeholders including the judiciary, CSOs, and adjudication institutions in a developing country
• Demonstrated experience in civil society engagement in Uganda
• Familiarity with Ugandan administrative and legal processes
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, in English
How to Apply
INTERESTED APPLICANTS ARE INVITED TO SEND A CURRICULUM VITAE AND AN ACCOMPANYING COVER LETTER ELECTRONICALLY TO: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Please ensure your application e-mail has the subject heading of the position you are applying for. War Child Canada is committed to providing a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. No phone calls please. For more information about War Child Canada, please visit www.warchild.ca.