Job title Media Specialist
orgainsation War Child
War Child Canada works in Uganda with war-affected communities to help children reclaim their childhood through access to education, opportunity and justice. War Child Canada takes an active role in raising public awareness around the impact of war on communities and the shared responsibility to act.
When war itself ends, the consequences endure. A lack of employment opportunities, the absence of effective economic or social structures, an under-educated population and a culture of impunity around rights violations combine to create conditions that make a return to conflict all too possible. But by making a long-term investment to create an environment in which childhood can thrive, the cycle of violence can be broken.
War Child Canada is a registered Canadian charity based in Toronto and currently works in Afghanistan, Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Sierra Leone and Uganda.
War Child Canada is currently seeking to recruit for the positions of Advocacy Specialist and Media Specialist for an anticipated USAID-funded Rule of Law program in Uganda. The selected candidates will work with a team of technical specialists and local partners to address three areas: supporting an independent judiciary; fostering advocacy; and advancing the flow of information, including through the media. These positions are contingent on funding. All positions shall be based in Kampala with frequent travels upcountry.
• Provision and oversight of technical direction and assistance in support of enhanced free flow of information
• Provision of strategic guidance to local partners on organizational development and network building
• Lead the coordination of a feasibility study on the use of new media as a forum to promote and protect rule of law and human rights issues
• Coordinate efforts amongst media partners and government to operationalize access to information mechanisms
• Coordinate efforts to provide training to journalists, media editors and other media stakeholders in human rights and rule of law issues
• A Master’s degree in journalism, mass media, or in a related social science discipline is highly preferred
• A minimum of three years’ experience in media advocacy and engagement on rule of law and rights matters
• Two years of technical experience in dealing with multiple stakeholders including the media, judiciary, CSOs, and adjudication institutions
• Demonstrated experience in media in Uganda
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, in English
How to Apply
SEND CV AND AN ACCOMPANYING COVER LETTER ELECTRONICALLY TO: Email: email@example.com Please ensure your application e-mail has the subject heading of the position you are applying for. War Child Canada is committed to providing a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Final candidates will be vetted in accordance with War Child Canada's Child Protection Policy, including appropriate reference and security checks. For more information about War Child Canada, please visit www.warchild.ca.